so, having less experience at producing an acceptable paint job than any other part in this project, i fucked it up. note, my technique was good, but i had no idea that the rust-oleum automotive clear coat was THE WORST IDEA EVER.
seriously, under optimal conditions, and with a perfectly dry and very good base color, i shot the clear coat. started crinkling immediately. when i went to wet sand it off to try again, the clear had actually weakened the bond between the... long story short, whole paint job started peeling off.
According to a bunch of people on a bunch of forums, none of the aerosol enamel clear coats have much better than a 25% chance of working well, even under the best conditions. Plus, I realized that the stuff wouldnt hold up to spilled gas. Luckily, the same forums recommended 2 Part SprayMax Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat
. Apparently, this stuff is the shit.
so i gotta wait a week till my faux-pro clear coat comes in the mail. On the upside, that gives me time to take it all the way back down to bare metal. Since I have to go through all this again, and im putting a decent chunk of change into the clear coat, im not gonna half-ass it this time. im even gonna bondo the little dings and wet sand up to 1000g.