Aero exhaust on a Sabre
OK, I'm a noob, so if this has already been covered, sorry (not really). I did a search, but nothing showed up.
Always liked the look of the Aero, just couldn't find one in my price range when shopping for a bike. Got my Sabre cheap (didn't run, bent rear fender). Zero $ to clean the carbs and get it running, just some elbow grease and about $80 in paint, and the rear fender was fixed (good enough anyways). Been trying to do budget mods ever since.
Never happy with my stock exhaust. Did the holesaw, didn't sound good to me. Made some glass pack inserts, which helped, but still didn't sound right (my buddy did this on his holesawed Suzuki M50 pipes and they sound great).
A set of 2 into 1 pipes was high on my wish list. Looked many times at V&H pro pipes, just couldn't get myself to spend the bucks. Always was told the Aero exhaust would not fit on the Sabre due to the front foot peg mount location (its true). But when studying some pics of an Aero I had a Eureka moment. It struck me that the front Aero pipe and the front Sabre pipe dropped to the same place on the bike when they straightened out. When I saw an Aero exhast system on craigslist, I took the chance.
Did this mod last week.
My Sabre pictured here has an Aero muffler, an Aero rear header pipe, and the original Sabre front header pipe. The Sabre front header is too short to reach the Aero muffler (which is forced into position by the rear header pipe). Believe it or not, I connected the Sabre header to the Aero muffler with an $8 chrome drain tube extension from Home Depot. No leaks. Have a little work to do for mounting the Aero heat shield to cover the 5" gap between the Sabre front heat shield and the Aero muffler shield - its held on now with a hose clamp. A simple chunk of angle iron was used for the exhaust bracket extension.
$100 for the Aero system, $8 for the drain tube, and $5 for a crush gasket. Seems like a budget way to get 2 into 1 and a unique look. It also sounds so much better than the hollow sounding, overly muffled stock exhaust. It looks long, but it is only about 1/2" longer than the "pig's snout" license plate light.
So, that's how it was done if anyone is interested.