My Shindengen FH020A Mosfet R&R Upgrade - For 99 - 07 VLX
I take a lot of pride in working on the wifes VLX, and making sure it done right.
As I dont need to worry while she's got her bike out on the road.
The pictures were all taken with the tool tray removed, and they are a little grainy due to low lighting.
I considered a direct connection from the R&R to the battery, but the old R&R has been running through the stock wiring and 30 amp main fuse with the added accessories just fine, so the set up I chose was the same as stock.
All components I used to make the adaptor harnesses are available at www.cycleterminal.com
The only real problem I had with this was where to locate the New Shindegren R&R, it didnt fit properly in the Mounting bracket.
Easy solution, I removed the mounting from the frame, and cut the mounting surface down about 5/8 of an inch with a dremel. took a 1/4 off the bottom edge, and cut the steel spacers flush.
Here it is with the new R&R semi mounted. The stud spacing was pretty much perfect, took a little wiggle to get it on there.
I decided not to cut the studs down, and went with Stainless steel spacers.
Once that was done and installed back on the bike, I decided to replace the stator connector and terminals that had been cut off ,Due to overheating.
I also cut the wiring back so I could relocate the connector from its orginal bracket mounting, and position the small black 2 pin connector in its place.
New terminals from Japan, crimped then soldered. A little shrink tube on the insulation crimp for strain relief.
This connector should not be a problem now.
As most that I have seen melted, the heat started at the crimps, not the mating of the terminals.
I used the white Sumitomo connector to make it easier to keep an eye on for overheating.
I made 2 adaptor harnesses.
Note - (The Furukawa 250 terminals that come with the FH020 R&R are thick, and not easy to crimp.
I had to resort to a crimp tool for thick battery ring terminals.)
First harness for the stator connector on the right, using some 14 gauge AVX wire I had.
Second harness on the left for the battery connections. I went with 2 pieces of 16 gauge for each + and - like the stock R&R came with.
These terminals got crimped, and shrink tubing for insulation strain relief.
I did not use tubing for strain relief on the R&R side of the stator connector due to the oversized wiring.
Both got covered with high temp harness tubing.
Notice the small black 2 pin connector on the right, Its kind of in the way.
The only other problem I had was the side cover hitting the connector on the R&R.
Took that down with the dremel as well.
I had to relocate the small black 2 pin connector for the neutral and oil pressure switches.
All installed and ready to go.
14.2 at about 975 rpm's
13.9 with the fog lights on at idle
no lower than 13.6 with the fog lights and high beam at idle.
pretty happy with the whole job, and the results.
I am working on the Shindengen upgrade for the ACE This weekend.