So. I've made some progress and have some pictures to share... Everybody likes pictures... Right? I know I do.
First I got the forks off and dissassembled. I think it's still the stock oil from 1989 so it's due for replacement. I also ordered a set of progressive front sprlngs because I've heard nothing but good things about them. Still waiting for my local shop to get me the new seals and stuff for them.
I then pulled the carbs to install the TJBC jet kit. When I bought the bike it didn't run very well because the air filter box was not attached properly and I got receipts for two trips to a shop that tried to fix it by cleaning the carbs. Well I opened them up and it seems they've done a number on the jets. Don't know how they did it but the heads of the jets were fucked. I also pulled the float needles and holders and they are supposed to have a fuel filter at the bottom. One of them did not. Lucky me I got new ones from TJ as well. Also the rubber seal for the float bowl seemed to have been sealed with some liquid gasket over the original. Well. That's now clean and new ones are in. Should work better now even if it ran great when I had reattached the air filter after I bought it. I'm never taking a bike to the shop that did that stuff ever though.
I then had to splice the wires for the handlebar switches because I painted a set of hand controls for a VT750 instead of the vlx's. And well. The connectors are not the same. Should work now though. Will know when it's time to start her up.
Finally I took a box of stuff to a friend and spent the evening sandblasting the rims, hubs, fork lowers, top tree and more and will be dropping them off to powdercoat tomorrow. Hopefully I can start assembling something soon.
Here are the pics: