theres 2 heat shields the first one (#1) covers where the two down pipes go into the muffler to give the smooth 2 into 1 look, the second shield (#2) covers the muffler, use the muffler schematic on page 2 of this thread as reference:
1. Remove heat shield #2, DO NOT touch shield #1.
2. Once shield #2 is removed cut the can at Chamber A as close to Baffle A as you can.
3. Then try and get the top (rear cylinder) pipe inside the muffler to be as close in lenght as the bottom one(front cylinder).
4. Clean all the cuts and cover with paint so it won't rust where metal is exposed.
5. I think you're gonna need a 5 inch tip, i'll measure when i get home, anyways slide the tip over the section of the muffler that's left
put it at the angle you want the opening to be at, make sure is evenly flush with shield #1, hold it in place and spot weld around the
back side (bike side), once that's done it shouldn't move, so you can finish welding it (since you can't reach under the tip due to shield
one being in the way, i would make the weld from top to bottom around the inside (bike side).
6. Don't forget to paint the weld so it won't rust later on.
Have fun, if you don't get it the way i put it here, let me know and i'll try to explain better.
Last edited by NAL : 05-31-2007 at 04:45 AM.